Banana bread and cakes are trending! So, we had to come up with a chocolatey eggless version for you guys. This recipe is a great rescue for overripe bananas. Feel free to double, triple or half this recipe as you wish. Let's get right to it!
- 5 overripe bananas.
- 2 and 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups of any vegetable oil. (we used olive oil)
- 3/4 teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- 2 and 1/4 levelled teaspoons of baking powder.
- 2/3 levelled teaspoon of baking soda.
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. (mdalasini)
- 1 teaspoon of cardamom. (Iliki)
- 1/2 cup of sugar (feel free to add or reduce the amount of sugar according to how sweet the bananas are).
- Grated cooking chocolate/ Choco chips.
- 6 Strawberries sliced.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. In one bowl, Peel the bananas and mash with a fork till there are no visible lumps. Add in the vanilla essence, oil and sugar whisk until the sugar is dissolved in the mixture.
- Sieve in the flour, cardamom, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder into the banana mixture.
- Fold and cut the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients (FOLD do not mix! Mixing will cause the cake to flatten. However, folding adds air to the mixture).
- Once you can no longer see streaks of the dry ingredients fold in strawberries and grated chocolate. Pour the mix into any baking tin and bake for 100-120 minutes.
- At 100 minutes poke a knife through. It should come out clean.
Note: The baking time may vary for different ovens and baking tins. The knife test is a sure way to ensure the cake is baked.
- Once the cake has cooled, enjoy it for breakfast with some black coffee.